Things to know prior to your appointment
YOUR FIRST CONSULTATION
Your initial consultation will last 75-90 minutes. During this time we will cover:
- Review of your Adult or Pediatric Intake form
- A comprehensive medical intake and health history
- Tongue and Pulse Physical Exam – a focused exam for Chinese Medical Diagnosis and Treatment
- An individualized treatment plan for you to take home with you which may include Nutritional recommendations, Herbal therapies, Homeopathic prescription, Hydrotherapy routines, Lifestyle modifications and Mind-Body approaches to healing.
Follow-up consultations are 30-45 minutes long and may include:
- Review of health history and progress
- Acupuncture treatment
- Updates to your treatment plan
- Please arrive ten minutes early for your appointment so that we can begin on time and get you out on time.
- If we are planning to do acupuncture, please wear loose fitting clothing and make sure you have eaten within the past two hours.
- Please bring copies of any recent lab work or imaging reports to consultations for review.
- We offer telemedicine (phone consultations).
Many health plans now cover acupuncture and various natural therapies. We do accept UPMC Health insurance plans! As of early 2016, there are many UPMC plans that will cover acupuncture for certain ailments. Most of these plans are through employers. Unfortunately, medicare and medicaid are not covering acupuncture at this time. If you would like to be seen for acupuncture at Trillium and use your UPMC insurance, you must have a written script from an MD or DO indicating your diagnosis code and that they are recommending acupuncture. UPMC insurance plans are covering 12 visits per year. After those treatments, you will be responsible in full for any treatments beyond that. This is a huge step for Pittsburgh. YAY!!! Hopefully soon Highmark Insurance will follow in UPMC’s footsteps.
If you are not sure if your insurance covers acupuncture or naturopathic medicine, we will provide you with all the necessary information and codes in order for you to submit your own claim for reimbursement from you insurance company. We will be happy to help you get your reimbursement should you need a letter or any diagnostic or procedure codes for your forms.
Herbal medicine, supplements and other therapeutic support that we may recommend to you are not included in the cost of the office visit. We will create an individualized treatment plan for you to match your needs and finances – straightforward, convenient and affordable.
Please be prepared to pay for the amount of the visit in full at the time of your appointment. We accept cash, checks, credit cards and Health Savings Accounts.
Life happens and sometimes people do need to cancel! Please make every effort to notify us as soon as possible if you need to cancel your appointment. We kindly request that you give us 48 hours notice so that we can offer your spot to another patient who is waiting. We ask that you take our time seriously just as we take yours – if you cancel less than 48 hours before your visit we charge the full cost of the visit.